Monday, December 16, 2013

Suffocate

The girl can't breath.
So young, so intelligent, so creative...
Talent squandered, potential wasted
In minimum-wage monotony, sucking precious minutes
should be spent painting, reading, writing, growing...
Crushing loans
A grandmother's mind gone, heart still strong
Yet.
As the mind goes so does the financial
Assistance.
Indifferent uncles and power plays unseen
'how unlucky' they say
And Civil society pays no mind, so
The girl will not return
To create beautiful things
In the Spring.
Precious minutes. Wasted.
For minimum wage.

I am angry. Beyond words
the beauty lost for a few pennies
Sallie Mae to collect, the pound of flesh
10 years on, and I'm sick
because Sallie has me too.
And my brother.
And my mother.
And so many too many friends,
known and yet to know,
Of such gift and brilliance
Of such seeds that would grow to beauty and value
Incalculable
Squandered. For minimum wage
And pounds of flesh for Sallie Mae

The man drove his ferrari by the shop
Purring
While the girl worked for pennies
And I walked on, sick with worry
Maybe he will take Sallie
To the fancy hotel in the City
And they will laugh and spend
Our blood.

No comments: