Thursday, September 18, 2008

Am I still on planet Earth??!

Today I write from the strange and wonderful land of Cappadocia. This area encompasses a series of towns in central Turkey, southeast of Ankara. I flew in from Istanbul in order to save myself a 12 hour nighttime bus ride- domestic flights are fairly inexpensive here and still serve a full meal... even on a 1.25 hour flight!

Many apologies for not uploading pictures tonight... it is very late and I must get to sleep. I took some unbelievable shots today during a 4 hour hike around Goreme, and as soon as I have the time to figure out how to get them uploaded here at the internet cafe, I will/

For now let me describe this place as best I can in words.... Ive been thinking about how to say this all evening...

Picture the earthen hobbit world of Tolkien and mix generously with the opening sequence of Star Wars 1 (the original) in which we first meet Luke on his home planet. Think Obi Wan Kenobi and his stone cave and you're getting closer. Now throw in some of the red rock formation of Sedona, AZ along with villagers who likely still live the way their ancestors did a thousand years ago (think chickens-in-the-road and donkey-carts-pulling-goods-from-the-field) and you've got a pretty good idea about my first impressions of Goreme!

And if that only confuses, i promise pics asap! Best wishes from a strange but wonderful land ;)

1 comment:

Gina Bean said...

I must see pictures to get the full scale of this place you speak of. It sounds great, I just have not seen the first Star Wars and have never been to Arizona. I do have a pretty vivid image of J. R. Tolkien's, The Hobbit, if that helps...Overall, It sounds like you could very well be on a different planet. :-P