Sunday, June 14, 2009

New York

Dear NY,
Nearly a week in your midst and I still cannot wrap my mind around the behemoth city that is you. You scare me and amaze me; I'm glad I don't have to stay but somehow I'm sure I'll be back. Maybe one day we can meet eye to eye but for now I'll take my leave and swim in a smaller pond.
-Best Regards
The Lakeshore Limited line rolls through wooded upstate NY before following the Hudson River south towards the city
Who would have guessed NY was so green?! Someday I must return to explore the Catskills and the Adirondacks
Catchin' up on a few winks... getting better at sleeping on the train And here we are... the Jungle! Dead center on Manhattan Island, no joke. Who'd have guessed Central Park could look like this??
Earlier I'd seen an egret flying over the city; later that day I found her again, fishing
New York's HI (hostelling international) hostel - largest in the US. Busy place to call home for 6 days!
Teamed up with a motley crew of internationals (ozzie, kiwi, french) to catch a Yankees game. They lost to the Rangers but still a good time!

looking toward the south end of Manhattan while on the ferry to Liberty Island
Woohooo!!! Thank you France! We like it. love, america

awww.... copycat
the coast guard lets ya know they don't play around over hereOn to Ellis Island - now a large (and amazing) museum documenting the rich history of American immigration
The great hall used for processing millions of immigrants as they first entered the US.
Tina and Chris, new friends from Germany and New Zealand, ridin' the Metro after our trip to Ellis and the Statue of Liberty
We sort of had to stop for cheesecake... It is NY and I had a tip on the "best" place in town. We weren't disappointed (i think it took 3 days to finish off all the leftovers)
Times Square!
Deck chairs on the pedestrian mall?! Ingenious!
A somber visit to ground zero; the rainy day seemed fitting.

Also a gloomy visit to wall street and the ny stock exchange. The place appears more like a military installation than an economic center, what with all the gates, fences, and security.
A very wet walk across the Brooklyn Bridge... woo!
The financial district as seen from the bridge
Midtown in the fog. Also taken from the bridge. More big city everywhere I look.
Free day at the MOMA, and Picasso!


Empire State
The Chrysler Building, my personal favorite due to its unique architecture and the gigantic gargoyles leaping from the upper reaches
Manhattan Island, etc. Looking south from the top of the GE building (74 floors) in Rockefeller Center
Looking north over Central Park. Wow!!

I've seen that before! Home Alone, was it? The Park Plaza hotel from central park
A hot day in the park - like the beach without the water
Awww... they're almost too picture perfect!

2 comments:

everyoneisjosh said...

Dude, I don't think you're supposed to take pictures in the MOMA...

Joe O'Neill said...

That was my thought as well. I asked the security guard in the exhibit if it was OK and he said yes. If you plan to use the images for commercial purposes then it's a different story. Thanks for your concern!