Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On to Germany

Hello and my apologies for not posting in awhile. My life has been an absolute whirwind in over the last 5 days. On Thursday I took a day train from Bern to Barcelona. Leg two of the journey meant a trip thru the south of france on the speedy TGV train... think being in an airplane just before takeoff and thats about how fast the train goes on an open stretch!

Barcelona was fabulous. One day is not nearly enough, but I made the most of it. La Sagrada Familia, Gaudi´s most famous cathedral, was just stunning. I promise pictures in the near future. Barcelona is full of Gothic cathedrals... complete with gargoyles. A very artsy city, and one that will requires at least 4 or 5 days to properly visit.

Saturday was a day train back to Switzerland, where I stayed with my friend from college and his wonderful family. Sunday we toured Bern, and on Monday (yesterday) I was back up in the alps.

I will have to wait to try to describe the indescribable... Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau... the highest mountains in Europe. So I will wait until I can post pictures too.

Tonight I am staying in a castle overlooking the Rhine, just above the quaint German town of Bacharach. Dont ask me how I got here... it was mostly luck! This is actually a hostel, but instead of your regular building... it happens to be inside a medieval castle. Pics to come I promise. Got to run now but best wishes to everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe! I am SO HAPPY and EXCITED for you! You are doing and seeing so many amazing things! I cant wait to see you when you get back and hear all about your trip! It is really inspiring reading your posts and seeing all of your beautiful pictures, makes me want to pick up and travel, too. I hope the castle hostel is treating you well! :)
Love,
Char

Melanie said...

Germany, ay? Did you see any Joe look-alikes?

Speaking of this, James and I saw your twin, it was extremely freaky. We took a photo, and when you get back hopefully one of us will remember so we can show you. :)