Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Samos to Athens - Oct 5 thru 7

My first glimpses of Samos (Greece) from the ferry out of Brindisi, Turkey

The Port of Samos, with ferries
Sunset over the Greek Isles. My first night ferry.

Athens from aboveAthens, looking toward the coast. You can see the stadium from the first modern Olympic games, held in 1896.
The Acropolis
Athens, and the Acropolis at Sunset

The Temple of the Olympian Zeus, with the Acropolis in the background

Syntagma Square

Above, an ancient ceramic workshop area. Below, the ancient agora.

Old, old pottery... some dating back to 3000 BCE

OK, tell me you don't see a resemblance between myself and Antonius Pius. He was one of the five good emporers... I'm just sayin'
Yep, that's the Parthenon

Dad, this one's for you. This stadium held the first modern Olympic games in 1896 and recieved the torch in 2004.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Joe, the likeness is uncanny... and you look good! Nice and tanned! Haha.